Victoria will be on the verge of quashing active COVID-19 situations to low double numbers, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton predicts, following a COVID-free weekend.

Active cases ballooned over 7000 in mid-August since the state desperately tried to rule in its rampant second influx.

That number has been whittled down to simply 61 following consecutive times without recording a single brand new infection or death upon Oct. 31 and November. 1 .

Sutton expects active cases in order to tumble further, suggesting it might fall to “a handful of dozen” by next week.

“You’ll see ten or more come off each day plus we’ll get down to hardly any active cases, ” this individual told reporters on Weekend.

It emerged as Sutton hinted an additional strong week of information could result in cap limits plus density quotas for some sectors being raised higher than at first outlined.

A lot more restrictions are due to relieve in Melbourne next Weekend, including the scrapping of the alleged “ring of steel” separating the city from the regions as well as the 25 kilometre travel restrict.

Although the motivating case numbers won’t imply that date is brought forwards, Sutton said authorities might mull over changes that exceed those previously announced.

“What allowances occur November 8 will definitely be informed by what this week appears to be, ” he said.

“Some of the information might change. We can often make consideration of exactly what caps might be in certain configurations, what density quotients may be in those settings.

“And some of the particular industries that might come on table in terms of being able to operate. ”

Ireland is definitely leaning on the ear associated with Sutton for its Melbourne-style lockdown, hoping to learn from the city’s success.

This individual cited the worsening scenario in Europe as a reason behind Victorians to reflect on their own hard-won gains.

The state’s virus dying toll remains at 819 and the national figure 907.

Simply by Callum Godde