Mandatory monitored pen for Melbourne residents who visit the Northern Area could be in position for a year due to a brand new coronavirus outbreak in the nation’ s second-most populous town.

The Area government responded to the surge in Victoria by launching on Sunday that  landings from designated COVID-19 hot spots would be put into pushed quarantine.

Which was expanded on Monday to any or all of Melbourne.

Melbourne has been ordered back in lockdown for six weeks right after Victoria was hit having a record 191 new situations of coronavirus on Wednesday, following an increase of 127 cases on Monday, that was also a record.

The NT borders had been due to reopen on Come july 1st 17 but Melburnians plus residents from any other places deemed to be coronavirus hot-spots must now go into monitored quarantine for 14 days in their own cost and encounter testing.

People to the NT from interstate currently must go into unsupervised self-quarantine.

NT Police have been increasingly providing fines to people for breaking quarantine, with 121 fines so far.  

Aboriginal Medical Services Connections NT chief executive John Paterson called for the borders to become shut to all of Victoria immediately, rather than Melbourne through July 17, citing issues over indigenous communities.

The NSW boundary will be closed to Victoria from Wednesday.

NT Health Minister Natasha Fyles said the situation had been “ rapidly evolving” which usually meant there was still sufficient time to make changes in the next week if there were outbreaks within new areas.

The government made its choices based on medical advice while identifying the restrictions had triggered an economic crisis and could take place long-term, she mentioned.

“ This might be in place for many months, it may be in place for up to a year, ” she told reporters.

“ In terms of individuals potentially planning travel, they must be aware that these their county areas could be defined as the hot spot and therefore (would be) going into forced quarantine if they happen to be planning any travel interstate post-July 17.

“ This will allow several travel between Australian jurisdictions, we know that coronavirus has had a big impact and people haven’ t had the opportunity to visit loved ones who might be seriously ill and had influences on people attending funerals.

“ We have to make sure the measures we set up stand us into the long term …   we need to what you need, we’ re going to end up being living with this for some time ahead until a vaccine is definitely rolled out. ”

Last week a man in the 30s became the first beneficial case in Darwin within almost three months, after traveling from Pakistan to Melbourne where he completed  quarantine however stayed with relatives in one of the city’ s infection hot spots.

By Greg Roberts