OTTAWA— Canada ’ s health minister upon Tuesday said she cannot rule out another full lockdown if needed amid the surge in new COVID-19 cases, but additional Ottawa was significantly more ready to manage the virus than throughout the first wave.
Patty Hajdu’s comments adopted a pledge she produced late Monday to take the “surgical approach” to dealing with outbreaks. Canada reported one, 351 new cases upon Sept. 14, the highest one daily addition since Might 1, amid school reopenings and flare-ups tied to team gatherings.
“We see those numbers increasing, but a full economic shutdown would be very difficult for this nation. Not to rule it away, because … listen we are going to protect the health of Canadians and we’ll do what it takes, ” Hajdu told reporters on Wednesday.
Canada ‘s 10 provinces are responsible for presenting health restrictions, though the government could use emergency laws in order to impose a lockdown in case deemed necessary.
The premier of Quebec, canada ,, the second-most populous state, said he was really worried by the surge, which usually he blamed on interpersonal gatherings.
“Some people will die. addititionally there is the risk that we may have to power down some businesses, ” Francois Legault told a briefing upon Tuesday.
Theresa Tam, Canada ‘s key public health officer, mentioned the spike in cases had been concerning but played throughout the idea of a national shutdown. Instead, a more targeted method was warranted, she informed a briefing on Wednesday.
Hajdu mentioned North america has made “significant improvements” in the healthcare system, and it is better prepared with gear and supplies than it had been during the first wave.
Hajdu earlier stated Europe was at the phase where it would employ a lot more targeted approach to combating COVID-19, citing the need to work with provinces and regions to deal with localized outbreaks without harming healthy communities.
Simply by Julie Gordon