It is said that one image can communicate more things than a thousand of words. Here is a collection of powerful photos from the past that do just that – without saying anything, they can still speak directly to the soul.
1. 17 year old Jan Rose Kasmir offers a flower to soldiers during the Pentagon anti-war protest in 1967.
2. A Brazilian protester stands before gunfire during protests against corruption and police brutality.
9. Caroline Joan Peixoto, City Arts, photographed classical ballet students at rehearsal in Rwanda’s only classical ballet school. This school has given the Kigali community incredible hope as the first post-genocide ballet school.
14. Dr. Religa monitors his patient’s vitals after a 23 hour long heart transplant surgery. His assistant is sleeping in the corner.
15. The patient not only survived the surgery, but outlived his doctor.
20. Diego Frazão Torquato, 12 year old Brazilian playing the violin at his teacher’s funeral. The teacher had helped him escape poverty and violence through music.
22. A firefighter gives water to a koala during the devastating Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, Australia, in 2009.
26. A woman sits amidst the wreckage caused by a massive earthquake and ensuing tsunam, in Natori, northern Japan, in March 2011.
28. During massive floods in Cuttack City, India, in 2011, a heroic villager saved numerous stray cats by carrying them with a basket balanced on his head.
29. An Indian youth dangles from a power line before diving into the floodwaters of an overflowing Ganges river in Allahabad in August.
Sanjay Kanojia / AFP / Getty Images
30. A Pakistani man carrying a child rushes away from the site of a car bombing in Peshawar, northwest Pakistan.
Mohammad Sajjad / AP
If this collection touched your heart, share it with your friends!